Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Video Conference 2


The video conference with the Swedish students was very interesting and I enjoyed the topic quite a bit. Though we went in not knowing the information fully, they were interesting discussion topics that I believe we could relate to in some way.
For the first discussion about Japanese pop culture, we talked a little bit about things we knew that were from japan that were popular here as well. I mentioned some video games and the Swedish student mentioned some as well. Also, I talked about how many younger shows shown on tv were truly Japanese animes, such as Pokémon and Dragons Ball. The Swedish student also knew of some pop Japan artists or bands, which usually consists of a large group of attractive people. This reflects how japan is so structured around groups and working together, similar to how they don’t have single super heroes, most of their pop seems to be groups of people as opposed to individual stars. Also, we talked of how manga is seen differently outside of Japan. The Swedish student mentioned how most adults don’t read manga while in Japan everyone reads manga. I commented on how it is most likely seen as childish due to how America has always portrayed comics as something kids read. When we got onto the topic of “Cool Japan”, no one in my small group knew particularly what it was. From the pictures on the slide we guessed that it was some kind of promotion used to attract people to japan, the Swedish student mentioning it could have perhaps been due to the declining birth rate. Also, with the use of the internet, we were able to find what is to discuss it further. We talked a little about whether this would attract people to Japan.
In the second discussion of Cute Japan, my group also didn’t know particularly what that meant. The Swedish student in this discussion suggested that perhaps they are trying to portray this image of cute in contrast to their darker background involving war and what not. I then commented on perhaps dressing in this way was to distinguish them in a society strongly based around conformity and strict social rules. We then talked about how this cute image was one that would cause people to not take the society as seriously. We them mostly talked about differences in American culture’s view of these cute things and Sweden’s as well.
Sorry that I can’t be more specific on who said what, its hard to remember exactly what was said during the discussion, but the discussion did bring up ideas and concepts that I wouldn’t have been able to think of on my own so I believe they were very productive. It was fun to get to talk to the Swedish students about what is popular and what not, because it seemed like something everyone could relate to in some small way.  It was an interesting experience and I am glad I got to participate in it.

2 comments:

  1. I was in your small group discussion! We had a lot of great conversations, I particularly enjoyed when we discussed how culture affects the perception of aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with both of these posts. I was in the group as well and felt that our discussion was very beneficial and insightful.

    ReplyDelete